Hay fever can be downright miserable and is usually at its worst when the weather is humid, warm and windy, and when the pollen count is at its highest.
Simple tips to avoid these symptoms include:
- Wear wraparound sunglasses to prevent pollen from getting in your eyes
- Putting a small smear of Vaseline around your nostrils can help to trap pollen
- After you’ve been outside, shower and change your clothes to get rid of the pollen
- When the pollen count is very high, then try to stay indoors and keep the windows and doors shut as much as you can
- Invest in a vacuum cleaner that has a special HEPA filter and vacuum regularly to get rid of loose pollen
- Make sure you dust regularly with a damp cloth
Things you should avoid can include:
- Drying your clothes outside because they will catch pollen
- Cutting your grass or walking on grass, so get someone else to do the mowing!
- During pollen season avoid having fresh flowers in the house
If your symptoms are severe, then speak to your pharmacist or GP who can provide advice on the best treatments to relieve itchy eyes and a blocked nose.